Danbury, CT & Lakewood Ranch, FL

When To Contact An ADHD Specialist?

There are many signs of ADHD, including inattention, impulsivity, and/or hyperactivity. We know that it is difficult for you, as parents, to understand whether it is ADHD your child is experiencing, or if it's just a part of growing up. Our goal is to inform and educate parents about ADHD, so that you know when the right time to contact an ADHD specialist doctor for your child is.

Behaviors Associated With ADHD

If your child starts showing significant signs of ADHD at home or at school, we believe you should contact an ADHD specialist. If your child seems to be having academic or behavior problems at school, this may be a good time to get in contact with a doctor. Oftentimes, children associated with ADHD have a hard time paying attention in class, listening, organizing, and even remembering things. As a result, your child may be achieving low grades. Typically, parents and teachers notice these behaviors during the child's first few years of school, but that is not always the case. Sometimes, a child can go all through high school having these symptoms when a proper treatment of ADHD may have solved the entire issue. ADHD has also been associated with disruptive behavior. If parents are constantly receiving calls from the teacher about their child being disruptive and are dealing with the same issues at home, it may be a good time to contact a doctor as well.

Other Disorders

We also encourage parents to contact a doctor if their child is experiencing any type of persisting mental health disorders, such as anxiety or depression. Sometimes, if a child has ADHD, they tend to constantly worry about school, or maybe worry about their parents. In either instance, the child always tends to think about the worst possible outcome of any situation. This is a case of anxiety, which is often associated with ADHD. If these types of issues tend to exist for weeks at a time, it may be time to contact a doctor. We understand that some of these symptoms may be associated with your child's general personality, but it is always better to be safe than sorry.

If your child is experiencing any of these symptoms at a severe level, we advise you to consider speaking with an ADHD specialist doctor.